Oh, and by the way, I have also done a couple of online classes through Open Yale Courses. These are introductory courses that Yale offers online for free. They give you a syllabus and book list and everything. You do have to get a hold of the books somehow. Unless you are ok just watching the lectures.
The 10 Courses I Would Like to Take - Online:
1. (And I started this one this morning and so far it is very good) Get Organized: How to be a Together Teacher: As teachers one of the biggest challenges that we face is time... there is never enough, and with most of our schedules already set, there is precious little free time to do all that needs to be done in a day. This course is designed to help use that time most effectively.
2. Common Core in Action: Math Classroom Challenges- Using Formative Assessment to Guide Instruction - I like teaching math. I like talking about teaching math. I like helping teachers become better math teachers. This course could help me get better at that.
3. Water in the Western United States - Water is important. People say there is a water crises coming. I would like to know more about it.
4. Calculus One - I know, crazy right. I struggled through calculus. I would come home from class, get out the assigned homework, and then get so frustrated that I would lay the couch cushions on the floor and just start punching away. It was a great way to get the aggression out. I passed... and never took another math class in college. But you are a math teacher. Yep. I do know my limits though. I am really good through about 8th or 9th grade.
So yeah, I'd like to have another crack at calculus. I think I would do better, after 15 years of teaching math, and a whole lot better of an understanding of math than I had when I was 20.
5. Introduction to the New Testament History and Literature - As I have looked at master's degrees, I always look into degrees in New Testament Studies. I love reading and learning about biblical studies. And, because of that I am also going to add...
6. Introduction to the Old Testament - Maybe I should learn Hebrew. Or, maybe Greek. I will probably start with Spanish though.
7. Learning Spanish Courses 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 - These don't actually exist on the websites that I have cited. At least I don't think they do. But I should probably take all of them.
8. The Training For Utah Foster Care Licensing - In all actuality, Michelle and I are taking these classes. They are so good. We keep telling each other that everyone should be required to take them. Lot's of good stuff about child development and how to help children through trauma and stress.
9. How to Build a Public Speaking Empire - There are some courses out there like this. I just haven't taken any of them yet.
10. How to Build a Hydrophonic Garden that Produces Lettuce All Year - Actually, if someone wanted to drop a head of lettuce by our house every day, that would serve the same purpose without me having to learn anything.
The reality is, there is a resource out there for anything that you want to learn. It just takes setting aside the time to do it. Just remember that learning is an investment in yourself... which is the best investment that you can make.