1. Titanic 2 the movie was epic - I know that I am in the minority here, but I thought the first Titanic movie was lame. And I am probably still in the minority just for the fact that I have even seen the second Titanic movie. But if the passengers on this new Titanic cruise ship experience anything like what happened on Titanic 2 the movie, then they are in for quite an adventure. I do want to add a disclaimer here. Epic might be a strong word for describing Titanic 2 the movie.
2. There are descendants of the original passengers on the board of directors for the project - What a great gesture. To me this shows an honest intention to sincerely honor the memory of the tragedy.
I remember when National Geographic came out with their Titanic issue. I probably spent 3 hours or so looking at every picture and reading every word. I was fascinated by the magnitude of the event and, even as a youngster, put myself in the shoes of those who were on the ship that night.
Like I said earlier, at first I thought this was a horrible idea. I thought it might just be a flippant publicity stunt. Afterv reading this article, I changed my mind. I think this is a great idea that allows people to experience part of history.
3. They are replicating the 3rd class passenger area - People are going to be packed in like sardines and will have minimal luxuries. The cabins in third class will be modern cruiser cabins, however they are not going to have private bathrooms. 3rd class passengers are going to have to share bathrooms with other families. Which sounds weird at first, but isn't that what we all do when we go out into public. When I am at the grocery store, am I not sharing the bathroom with everyone else that is in the store? An amusement park might be a better example. We spend all day crammed in the same geographical area and we are joyful, even though we have to share the bathrooms. We don't even give it a second thought. We might though if we had to shower. We don't sped six days in the store or the amusement park. Bathrooms aside, with the modern amenities that could have been built into the ship, one would really have to want to replicate history to cross the ocean in those conditions these days, let alone pay a high price for it. There appears to be interest though as www.titanic2ship.com states that the 3rd class area has been one of the most searched aspects of the project.
4. People have offered to pay over a million dollars for passage on the maiden voyage - They haven't set ticket prices yet, and I am thinking that these offers are not for a third class ticket. This shows the appeal of the project and the appeal of being able to be a part of history.
5. Over 40,000 people have shown interest in buying tickets - Good for Clive Palmer, the billionaire who came up with the idea. About the interest that he has gotten from the public he said, ‘My motivation wasn't to make a lot of money but was actually to deliver the ship. Now something which wasn't primarily aimed in my mind as a great business transaction may well become one.’ I almost resisted referencing Field of Dreams here. It looks like this is truly a case of 'if you build it, they will come.'
6. They are going to check some of the 3rd class passengers for lice - Palmer really intends to recreate the 3rd class experience. Even to go so far as spraying some of the passengers with confetti, and then going through the delousing process. I wonder if people on 3rd class would think this was an awesome idea at first, before they left, and then when they end up with confetti all over in their hair, after being crammed in with a bunch of people for six days, think better of it. I say, if you are going to try to recreate the experience, then go all the way. I like this idea.
7 - 10. Authenticity - This could have been an opportunity to build an outer veneer of a ship that resembled the original titanic and then build all of the modern amenities into the ship. But that is not what is happening. The ship is going to be authentic right down to the menu.
I've already talked about how the 3rd class is going to be as similar to the original as possible. But what about the rest of the ship. There is going to be an old school gym, a swimming pool, and a luxurious Turkish bath house. If you want to see what these parts of the ship look like, go here. Really, the gym is worth taking a look at.